From footprint to handprint
Corporate responsibility and societal impact are the cornerstones of Tesi’s operations. We see businesses as key players in solving global challenges in a sustainable way. Therefore, the society as a whole benefits from what growth companies and their investors are able to accomplish.
Responsibility in our daily operations
Responsible business is a competitive advantage and a prerequisite for long-term success.
Our corporate responsibility policy and investment activities are based on the UN’s Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI). We follow these principles in all our activities.
Responsible investment means integrating responsibility issues into investment activities and ownership, not excluding certain industries or companies from the investment focus. Responsibility is part of the entire investment process: it affects investment decisions, active ownership and exits.
When evaluating companies, we consider the risks and opportunities related to environmental, social and governance factors (ESG) in addition to the economic aspects of the investment. We are a responsible owner in constant dialogue with the management companies of our portfolio funds, the boards of our portfolio companies and our co-investors.
- We invest in venture capital and buyout funds whose managers operate in accordance with the principles of responsible investing.
- We assess our portfolio funds regularly. Every six months, we evaluate responsibility policies and their integration into day-to-day operations, staff training and the level of reporting.
- We ensure fund management companies take responsibility into account well in their operations.
- In direct investments, we conduct an ESG assessment of the company. We want to identify the key risks and opportunities related to environmental issues, social impact and governance.
- We promote responsible business through active board work and through working groups and committees. A member of the Board appointed by Tesi plays a significant role in corporate responsibility matters. The board member ensures that the management understands the importance of corporate responsibility and its components, and that the company’s operations and new procedures are sufficient to safeguard the company’s value and long-term business opportunities.
We believe companies play a key role in solving global challenges in a sustainable way. As the developer of the Finnish venture capital and private equity market and an active minority investor, Tesi wants to make sure that these companies have what it takes to grow and succeed globally.
In 2019, Tesi’s portfolio companies grew faster than other Finnish companies on average – turnover increased by 12%, exports by 8% and the number of jobs by 20% – employing almost 43,000 people in Finland. The portfolio companies generated more than EUR 1 billion in tax revenue in Finland.